Home Wisdom Tooth Instructions
Wisdom Tooth Instructions
After Wisdom Tooth Removal
- Get prescriptions filled.
- Eat soft foods after extractions for 3-5 days. Examples: Jell-O, pudding, yogurt, ice cream, applesauce, oatmeal, cream of wheat, eggs, mashed potatoes, or macaroni and cheese. Let hot food cool to room temperature before eating.
- Remove gauze after arriving home. Take extra gauze and fold into a square, moisten with cold water and squeeze off the excess. Then place the gauze over extraction sites, bite down to apply pressure over these areas for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the gauze pads. If bleeding is minimal after removing the gauze, leave it out- do not replace. If there is still some oozing, you can repeat step #3. It is normal to have some oozing over the first 24 hours following extractions, but it should not be constant bright red bleeding. If you run out of gauze pads, you may substitute a moistened tea bag and repeat the pressure process. If you feel that the bleeding is excessive, please call our office.
- Do not expectorate (spit out) for 3-5 days after surgery. This may cause bleeding and could dislodge the clot from the healing extraction site, which is known as a “dry socket”.
- No straws for 5 days after surgery.No smoking for 5 days after surgery. Smoking, specifically nicotine, will decrease healing to the area and prolong your recovery.
- No smoking for 5 days after surgery. Smoking, specifically nicotine, will decrease healing to the area and prolong your recovery.
- Keep your head elevated while resting or sleeping for 3-5 days to minimize swelling. It is normal for swelling to increase the first three days post-operatively before it begins to improve. Apply ice packs as much as possible the first 24 hours. Once the ice packs have warmed, place them back in the freezer to refreeze.
- Take medication(s) as directed. Taking an antibiotic and/or pain medicines on an empty stomach can cause nausea.
- Avoid chips, popcorn, or nuts for 3-5 weeks following surgery.
- Begin rinsing out your extraction sites one week following surgery using the syringe we provide. It is important to get food and debris out of the healing areas. Do not begin rinsing earlier than seven days after, because you could rinse out the healing blood clot.